Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Those Who Judge Our Choice to Home School


It is the time of year when I get asked one question over and over again. Where do your children go to school?



I quite simply answer, "They don't." Most often people ask if I home school and then spend the next fifteen minutes explaining to me how they would love to be able to home school, but they could NEVER do it.  

Today was a new day, yet the questions about how we school were the same, but my response was answered with raised eyebrows, many questions, and a look of disapproval. When a child sitting near by started to share how much they wish they could home school, the mother who raised her eyebrows stated, "Think of all that you like about school." 

Needless to say the child shrugged, and no longer participated in the conversation. 

I get that not everyone can wrap their head around the idea of home schooling, let alone the idea of unschooling. I simply ask that if you can't wrap your head around a concept please refrain from casting judgement and squelching others curiosity. 

I understand why some believe that they could never teach their own children, and can not imagine taking them out of school. I completely disagree, but I can understand how someone can believe this. I simply ask those who have difficulty understanding why I would home school, or unschool my children to put down their judgmental glances and comments. 

I ask these people to take some time to read and learn about the topic of home schooling or unschooling. Don't squash inquisitive children, because they are curious about a topic you are fearful of. Most importantly, don't judge with words or body language. I am not judging you for keeping your children in public school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment