Friday, January 2, 2015

Making the Perfect Pie Crust



This year we spent Christmas at the happiest place on earth! The girls have named this the BEST Christmas ever and I would agree. Yet, because of the traveling we missed doing some of our favorite holiday baking. Everyone at my house is thrilled that we are celebrating 2015 with homemade pie!

Perfect pie crust is a must and I am incredibly grateful that my grandmother taught me how to make an awesome crust! I no longer make it in a glass bowl with a wooden spoon, but after a few tweaks and a Kitchen Aid I can truly whip together pie crust in no time at all.


Ingredients:
·         2 cups all-purpose flour
·         ½ teaspoon salt
·         ¾ cup of butter flavored shortening
·         6 – 8 tablespoons of ice cold water

The KEY to making great pie crust is the ice cold water, so take a few seconds and put some ice in a bowl and add water to it before you start mixing anything else together. Trust me on this.



Combine flour, salt, and shortening into a mixing bowl and mix well with a paddle attachment on your Kitchen Aid mixer. It should be a crumbly consistency.


Place the dough hook onto your mixer. Turn the mixer on and begin adding 6 – 8 tablespoons of ice cold water. Allow the pie crust to mix until the dough forms into a ball in the mixer. The dough should NOT be crumbly, if it is add another tablespoon of water.


This recipe makes enough pie dough for two pie crusts.


Roll your dough out onto a lightly floured pastry cloth. Lay the rolled crust into the pie pan folding under any excess crust.





Your pie crust is now ready for your favorite pie filling. My family LOVES pumpkin pie, so our New Year’s Day will be celebrated with a slice of our favorite pie! Hope you love making pie crust as much as I do. Such a yummy way to kick off 2015. 

No comments:

Post a Comment