Thursday, August 22, 2013

Project Organization

I have been spending time organizing books. I have learned one thing through this process. We have a lot of books! 



I have decided to organize our novels by genre (a suggestion from The Book Whisperer) and all of our reference books by subject.




 I believe as interest and passion strikes this method of organization will make it easy for us to browse through what we have in our personal library before racing to the public library, used book store, or Amazon. 

Prior to diving into student directed learning I kept all of our materials organized by core. I have slowly been pulling out each core filing our reference materials by subject and color coding, covering, stamping, and shelving our literature by genre.





 Yes, the process is a bit time consuming, but I am pleased with how the organization is coming together. 



I am getting ready to make a trip to our favorite used book store A Good Book. I have a list of books I am looking for to add to our library. I know I said we have a lot of books, but seriously can anyone have too many? 

Olivia came to me yesterday asking if she could check with A Good Book and see if she could volunteer or do some type of internship there. I am excited to see what we can get set up for her. I am amazed at how her passion for reading and writing is pushing her to explore activities beyond our four walls. She also found a few writing classes at the community college she is interested in taking. Now we are doing the research to find out how or if we can take a class, what hoops we need to jump through, if her age is an issue, or if we can audit the class. Olivia has much to do over the next few days.

Natalie and Ella enjoy going to A Good Book as well. I am sure they will find a gem or two. They are enjoying spending time with friends this week and working a bit on a little game we like to call tidy up your room. There have been outdoor water fights, berry picking, and back yard fun. I hope they enjoy the nice weather as long as it lasts. 

After our trip to A Good Book  I will have more good books to add to our library! I have read most books that are in our library. I like to have a few in there that the girls read first, because I love having them come to me and say, "Oh, Mom, you just HAVE to read this book." These requests bring about some of the best literary discussions we have ever had. 

No comments:

Post a Comment