Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Trip to the zoo + interest led learning for a 10 yo

Yesterday we spent the afternoon at the zoo. We met up with cousins and brought a long some friends. It was a fun day of learning and observing. 





Natalie and I were discussing what she may want to learn more about this year. Normally we take learning week by week, but I thought a bigger picture question might elicit more discussion from my more reserved child. She is interested in programming, web design, and earning money. Of course my stem child chooses topics I am not an expert in. So, we have a challenge on our hands. 

Good news about a challenge. This challenge has allowed for some nice discussion between the two of us. Also, we were able to explore the web together and search for some tools to help Natalie learn more about her interests. This is what I am purchasing as a result of our discussion:


We are excited about this .99 cent book! Natalie is excited because it will help her create a blog for all of her science videos. I am excited about the writing she will get to do. 


Natalie is VERY excited to learn how to do web design. I am hopeful this program will teach us both! 


I am not sure how this book will be embraced, but the title and the lemonade stand won Natalie over! She is extremely interested in money. How to make it. How to keep it. How to spend it. No, this last one she has down already, but the rest are all true.


This title describes Natalie. She has BIG ideas. She doesn't express her excitement as the kids on this cover do, but she likes to explain why her ideas are important. We are excited for this book to arrive. 

I am excited for Natalie to be able to explore these interests. I have to say this is NOT like any curriculum a 5th grader would be studying. Instead of checking my blood pressure and freaking out about the fact that we are not following a curriculum, or even a typical school model for learning, I am pleasantly calm and excited about what Natalie has chosen to learn. I am thrilled to see sparks of interest flying instead of the stares of dread and despair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment