Monday, September 23, 2013

Learning Through Online Games


This past weekend Ella asked me how to pronounce a word she was reading on the computer and asked what it meant. She was very involved, and I was impressed that she asked, so I sat with Ella as she was participating in an online penguin party on Club Penguin. Ella took me through this party that will go on for days. It has clues she must read in order to know what her next task is at the party. There are games, some history, and more reading! I am thrilled that she is excited about this program. I now know why she was inspired to learn to read.

Later this same day, Ella brought me her movie making book and asked if I would read it to her. She was very excited about learning about composition and setting. She spent the next two days creating interesting backgrounds to take photos of her stuffed animals.

Every time I begin to question if self-directed learning is the right approach for my family, I receive answers. Ella is learning and having fun. I love when I answers are painted so clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment