Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Shocking Learning Choices


My girls surprise me. Self directed learning surprises me. The discussion went something like this.

Olivia: Mom, I think I am going to start adding Algebra 2 back into my day tomorrow.

Gasping and then trying to regain my cool I inform her that I think that is a good plan. Inside I am as excited as a jumping bean.

Olivia: I want to start history too. 

Crossing my legs, I lean forward in my chair to make sure I am hearing things right. Then, leaning back I take in a deep breath and say to my self proclaimed history hating daughter, " If you want to."

Olivia: I want to add psychology into my day as well. I know I have the book, but I have have just read sections as they had interested me. 

I start tapping my foot to make sure I am not dreaming. 

Olivia: Could you help me organize history and psychology so I actually do them each day?

After picking myself up off the floor from utter shock, I ask her like  deer caught in the headlights, "REALLY?"

Olivia and I then have a discussion as to the type of help she wants. 

Olivia: I really just want you to help me manage the reading, because I know I will learn about something and want a different book on a new topic, but I want to get through these books too. I just am not sure how to know how much to read.

We continued to discuss this and I suggested that maybe she should determine how much time she wants to spend on each book and then we can divide then number of pages in the book by the number of weeks she wants to spend on the book. Then she would know how many pages she should read each week. I reminded her that she could always read more or less if she wanted but at least she had a game plan. 

Olivia: Yeah, it's a game plan I want. I don't want you telling me what to do and how to do it, but I am not sure how to manage all of this reading I want to do. 

I LOVE that she is showing me her teenage side, but really do any of us like being told what to do and how to do it when we haven't asked for help? I helped her with what she asked for. She maintained control over what she learns. She just needed me to help her figure out how to approach it. 

I never thought I would hear my daughter asking to learn topics that once would not have been touched, as if it were slime on the bottom of a dirty pond. Self directed learning continues to surprise me every day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment