Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Technology and Learning


My youngest loves technology. Specifically she loves the computer. I recently read an article about digital tools helping to improve teen writing. As I read this article my first thought was of course it improves teen writing, but then I thought do these teachers and pollsters believe this is only true of teens? Perhaps as a homeschooling mom I have more of an opportunity to see the positive effects of technology and learning. I know that since we have moved to a more self directed approach towards learning I have witnessed the power of technology and learning even more. 

My youngest is teaching herself how to spell and write using email, text, Youtube, Facebook, and Skype. She loves to write to friends and family through email and we send each other notes back and forth. It is a great way for me to see the natural  improvement of her writing. Ella also uses my phone to text friends. She often asks how to spell words she is uncertain of and when she doesn't she gets replies from friends that let her know they don't understand what she is asking or saying. When Ella creates Youtube videos of her Webkinz she likes to use the title and subtitle feature of the movie editing program. Since she is publishing these on Youtube and other people besides mom will read or see her finished product she is very concerned about spelling, and writing mechanics. The instant messaging features of Facebook and Skype are improving her writing skills as she uses my accounts to chat with her friends. 

I see that digital tools can help improve teen writing. I have witnessed how these tools help elementary age children who have an aversion to writing learn to write. In my experience technology and digital tools are a great learning method for all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment