Monday, October 14, 2013

History and Television

Check this show out on the National Geographic Channel.

This weekend we watched a show that was new to us, Diggers from National Geographic.

I turned this show on as I recalled how much fun I had as a child using a metal detector on the family farm. Slowly Natalie and Ella joined and started watching with me. We watched several episodes. One episode involved an unarmed atomic bomb that had been accidentally dropped in the US, others were about Billy the Kid, and Bonnie and Clyde.

Ella asked many questions about Billy the Kid. Was he real? When was he alive? Why were people after him? Are there any movies about him? Would I like them?

Needless to say I was floored. Here is a girl who has steered clear of any topic history related. Yet, a television show which gives a quick synopsis of history and geography has completely drawn her in.

I have put library books on hold, a PBS video, and we are watching American Experience episode about Billy the Kid during lunch today on Amazon Prime.

An interest in a topic can come from anything. Yes, this includes television. I am thrilled I stopped to watch a few Diggers episodes. I am sure we will watch more in the future, and who knows what one of the girls will be inspired to learn more about!

No comments:

Post a Comment