Monday, October 7, 2013

Youtube and learning


My husband has become Mr. Fix-it! When my bread baking ended in failure with a broken Kitchen Aid mixer my husband went to Youtube and with a couple clicks of a mouse was able to watch a video and learn how to repair my broken mixer! The part he needed cost $6 in comparison to replacing the mixer at over $300!!! Yeah!


I was not shocked to hear that Olivia had been taking drawing lessons by watching Youtube videos over the weekend. She proceeded to show me several of her sketches and explained how she had found a Youtube channel that actually taught drawing techniques that she could use to her own drawings instead of just copying someone else's drawing.

First, let me say that I LOVE that she was able to find a teacher on Youtube. I am thrilled about our discussion as well. She didn't settle on learning from someone who simply wanted to teach her through imitation. What she really wanted was a teacher who could teach a technique and let her use her own creativity and imagination to draw her own character's.

This process is what unschooling is all about and I absolutely LOVE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment